Sweating the Small Stuff
Once again, we are going to Sweat The Small Stuff here at 1170 Carew St. Our past year’s achievements (100% college acceptance, top MCAS scores, School of Excellence recognition from the Magnet Schools of America, Innovation School status from the state, and Mentor School status within the national Expeditionary Learning school network) all point to the success of this important initiative.
The following expectations must be met or students will be issued a uniform violation:
- Shirts must be buttoned to the bottom of the throat to show no cleavage.
- Shirts worn under a uniform shirt must be school colors (red, white, black), have no logos, and be solid colors only.
- Pants must be worn at the waist with no underwear showing.
- Tights or stockings can only be worn under knee-length skirts or shorts, and must be school colors.
- No hats may be worn or carried. Hats are to be kept in backpack or locker.
- Fleeces in school colors, pullover and zipper styles are allowed in school.
- Teachers will report uniform violations at the end of each day - families will be notified by phone the following morning.
- Students who are out of uniform must change into uniform clothes brought to school by the family or loaned to the student by the school. Students who fail to return “loaner” uniform clothes will be given a detention and charged $10 per item.
- Teachers will confiscate uniform violations (sweaters, sweatshirts, hats, etc.). Students can receive their items back at the end of the school day.
- Non-uniform clothes that are confiscated by staff and not picked up by the student (after school) will be donated to charity every two weeks.
Food in Classrooms
After School Activities and Office Hours
All students will use a calendar agenda (available at the school store) to track homework and assignments. Agendas must be either 5 1/2” by 8” or 8 ½” by 11. Students may not use notebooks as agenda books. Agenda books will be checked on a regular basis during Crew.
Homework and Tardy to Class
Homework and class attendance will be tracked each day. Families can track their students’ homework and attendance by accessing the teachers’ online records.
Cell Phones and Electronic Media
Students must turn off any cell phone or electronic media device (ipod, mp3, etc.). If any of these devices are seen being used and/or are heard by a staff member, the device will be confiscated, per SPS policy. This rule is in effect the entire school day (7:35-4 p.m.) and during all off-campus field work and events held during the school day.
Students are not permitted to use bathrooms during the first 10 minutes or last 10 minutes of class and must have a bathroom pass.
Renaissance Scholars Program
Students who make the 1st or 2nd semester Renaissance Honor Roll, which is based entirely on Habits of Work will be afforded the following privileges:
- Grade 10-12 Scholars will have a private bathroom dedicated to their use, accessed via the Main Office.
- All Scholars will have reduced admission to selected school events. Preference will be given to Scholars for off-campus events.
- There will be a Scholars Banquet in the spring for students and their families.
- 9th grade Scholars will be released from the grade 6-9 bathroom restrictions.
- All Scholars will be eligible for a monthly raffle of prizes.
- All Scholars will be invited to attend off-campus social events hosted by the school.
- Scholars will be charged with hosting guests to the school and serving as school ambassadors.
- 6th grade students will be able to qualify for the Scholars Program based upon their first quarter grades.
- All grade 7-12 Renaissance Scholars may, with family permission, bypass their 2nd SLFC.